Contents and facts
The Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Construction and Nuclear Safety (BMUB) has now published the 42nd Ordinance on Evaporative Cooling Systems and Wet Separators (42nd BImSchV.) in the Federal Gazette. It will enter into force on 19 August 2017 and contains numerous new obligations and requirements for plant operators. The ordinance is based on VDI 2047, Sheet 2. As a statutory ordinance, however, it is not just a guideline. It must be implemented and documented.
General information on the 42nd BImSchV.
- The ordinance will apply to all operators of evaporative cooling systems and wet separators from 19 August 2017.
- Recooling systems must be constructed and operated in such a way that contamination of the process water by microorganisms is avoided as far as possible.
- All new and existing installations must be notified to the authorities within 12 months of the entry into force of the Regulation.
- The population register requires information on the location of the installation and its operators.
- The competent authorities are not yet known
These are your legal obligations
- Preparation of hazard assessments including action plans if limit values are exceeded even before the plant is put into operation by hygienically competent personnel
- Keeping of an operating log and documentation of the samples
- Regular laboratory tests of the service water with corresponding proofs
- Establishment of reference values for germ contamination
- Inspection of the plant every 5 years by experts or accredited inspection bodies
What you need to do acutely now
- Legionella sampling of additive and process water by an accredited laboratory
- Employee training according to VDI 2047-2 or VDI 6022 (also for external companies)
- Preparation of risk assessment consisting of risk analyses and risk assessment
- Determination of the reference value for general bacterial counts
- Creation/maintenance of a logbook (manual/digital)
- Preparation of operating instructions in accordance with the Ordinance on Biological Substances
We can help you with the implementation
- We have already trained and certified more than 1,350 participants in VDI-GBG partner training courses.
- We have prepared over 200 risk assessments for cooling towers according to VDI 2047-2 and VDI 4250-2.
- We are your specialist for system cleaning/disinfection, plant digitization/system data acquisition, system optimization/operating data acquisition as well as for Legionella/Pseudomonas samples.